Friday, February 27, 2009

The fenders are on, tested and reinforced! lol Not as cool looking now but there'll be no mud stripes in my future. Took on the 920' rise of Roberts Rd. this AM but neither Dave nor I must have been fully recovered from Tuesday; we could see our end point but that last uphill was just too daunting! The 2 mile downhill coast is always fun! A driver stopped to say Dave's gray backpack and light blue denins made him almost invisible on the narrow one lane each way hill country road. We'll need to do something. My purple/yellow/blue windbreaker works reasonably.

The rear fender was too flexible so this PM I reinforced it. Perfect now. Then I went through the bike, focusing on shifting hesitation and chain sticking. I found the whole drive train needed a thorough cleaning and a minor front sprocket adjustment. It pedals sweetly now! I put a halogen bike light on it for oncoming safety. I need to find a good LED flasher for the rear traffic. Unfortunately the wheel fork sending unit for a wireless bike computer I acquired is not working; darn. I had hopes to track miles, speed, etc; something to do while you're pedaling, pedaling, pedaling. Finished the day splitting wood, mowing the yard and preparing for the next rain onslaught. It's an Advil evening. :-)

We made the $1,000 goal yesterday! Yesss!! Thank you, all my sponsors! I didn't expect so much generousity so soon! We still have a bit more than 2 weeks to the ride! So then today Brianne said I was a Wuss, and said I had to raise the goal. So now it's $2,000! And we are already $1,353 toward that! I'm thrilled!

Sunday, Monday and Tuesday are rain days, and it's time I tested my inexpensive rain gear. More on that later.

By the way, my apologies for the requirement on this blog site to have a membership to Google, Yahoo, or AIM to follow the blog. I was told that was not the case. Sorry.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment