Monday, March 16, 2009

It is late and Day 2 starts at 8:30am but for me at 8am; more on that below. Today, Day 1, we rode from downtown Portland to Kelso, OR, a distance of 58.95 miles. Whew! We started riding at 8:45am and for the first hour at least wound our way through Portland. Not fast and a bit hairy with 70 riders and all the traffic. I averaged 11mph overall and the day's ride took me 5 hours and 21 minutes.

It started to rain just before we left and continued about 80% of the day. My Friedman's Hardware rain suit worked well. It was also 45 degrees so the windbreaker effect was welcome. Of course over the course of the day I sweated profusely so all the clothes are hanging up drying. Also by the end of the day my shoes and feet were soaked. I have a second pair for tomorrow and a second dry strategy; plastic bags inside the foot warmers.

I rode with Sean with his trike for the first 2 hours and 17 miles. He ran out of steam and took a car ride to lunch. Then I rode with Sandy, Amy and Mary until lunch. After lunch we had our first casulty, Karen somehow had her tires slide out on a railroad crossing. Police and ambulance responded. Several stitches over her eye, a bad wrist sprain and some lower back pain; mmm, not good. I think a few more slipped but did not hurt themselves as badly.

We had quite a lot of flats today; I missed that adventure. Repairing tires in the rain was not fun.

The two worst spots today were in the vicinity of the Lewis and Clark bridge over the Columbia River. About 4-ish miles south on US30 is a looong uphill that is a killer! Then crossing the very high and steep bridge in a rainstorm with hail, sleet and 30 mph winds, together with riding in the roadway with manical truck drivers wasn't fun. Adding to it for me was my rear shifter started to bind up requiring much strength to get one gear change at a time. I couldn't get below 4th gear which took a lot of riding leverage away. But I made it. I had a young man with bike repair experience look at it today and in the process of trouble shooting the shifter wire broke. Susan will be taking me into the repair shop at 8am to wait for them to open at 9am to fix it. Well I'm off to bed. I'm certainly earning those sponsorships! lol Thank you all! BTW, Kyle announced we're at $275,000 now! Awesome! With that, good night!

5 comments:

  1. Don't get too use to riding in the van with Susan and your bike! If you can't get that cable fixed in a timely fashion, Andy suggests you stop at Target and pick up a new bike! You get your wet butt back out there on the saddle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo Hoo sound like fun to me;) $275,000 did I see that # WOW!!! Please no more stiches for ANY. Paul, you would have loved the YOUNG Sun girls that were on my trail ... we all have to deal with ... distractions (no flats for me though;)) It sound like you did some extra hard NON-spinning (4th gear up hill) for me - just FYI, it most likely the broken shifter cable (fraid sp?) that CAUSED you problems, rather than because of them - and last year I would of had you covered! Now for my break???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. Sounds like a pretty eventful day 1. Hoping for better weather and no injuries today. $275,000, that's AWESOME!!! I hope you get your bike fixed and are on the road soon. Love you, Cheri.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Paul,
    I am so glad to hear I got my $10 worth. I don't throw around big bucks to just anyone. It sounds like you are all having the time of your lives. I wish I was there with you. Be safe and I will see you all Thursday night. (I'll be flying in First Class. LMAO)
    Mary-Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul,

    See! I'm not too devilish! I very studiously avoided mentioning the "killer hill" before the bridge over the Columbia. I didn't want to "freak you out" -- but I was a little freaked for you! LOL! Sounds like an adventure. Good luck for the rest of it! -Donald

    ReplyDelete